The process of reducing the page ranking in the search engine results or we can say- the reverse of search engine optimization is know as the negative SEO. It involves several black hat methods that are known to be penalized by Google or other search engines. And such methods are applied on competitors’ website in order to decrease their ranking.
Reasons for using negative SEO:
- Downgrade your competitor’s site
- Hide bad news about yourself or your company
The following are the different negative SEO strategies:
By revealing the different negative SEO strategies, it does not mean that SEO companies or SEO Consultants start to use or implement such strategies to harm their competitors. It is just for the knowledge so that you can prevent your site from being a victim of negative SEO.
- Virus Infection: A virus or Trojan which surreptitiously add into your website, will lower the trust rating of the infected site that means your site will become unreliable.
- Duplicate Content: As we know many websites are de-ranked because of duplicate content which is against the Google’s latest update. So incorporating duplicate content is also a part of negative SEO. This negative SEO is done by creating a site with the same content as your competitor. By doing this Google and other search engine will interpret the victim’s site as the duplicate site thus de-ranking.
- Revising the Robot.txt: Some unscrupulous people can access your robot.txt file and block Google & other search engines to crawl your website. Thus it is important to secure the location of your website files and make sure that your website’s security systems are all up and running smoothly.